The 29LX CAMO is basically a 29 LX with the Realtree camo pattern. Cobra® has taken all the great features of the Classic 29LTD and managed to enhance it even further! The 29LX CAMO has the same size case and uses the same accessories as a Classic 29LTD. The LX’s added features include a 4-color (Blue, Red, Amber & Green) illuminated LCD display that can be changed by user to match interior vehicle lighting, enhanced microphone, programmable LCD dimmer control, software controlled menus, 10 programmable memory channels with touch of a button, all channel scan, Weather receive with scan, Weather channel function automatically advances to clearest weather broadcast channel while driving, radio diagnostic check function allows monitoring of RF output, SWR, battery voltage with low battery alarm.
The 29 LX CAMO features the RealTree ® Xtra camo pattern and a modern aesthetic design with a selectable LCD color display in red, green, blue, or amber to complement the interior of any cab. The display also has customizable night and day settings to enhance readability in both very bright and very dark conditions. In addition, it features a new clock/timer that enables drivers to track their on-time driving hours. The driver clock/timer also functions as an alarm clock
RealTree is a camo pattern developed by Bill Jordan out of Columbus, GA. The pattern featured on this Cobra® CB radio is Realtree Extra Camo. From the Realtree site: The Xtra in Realtree Xtra stands for extra effectiveness in the field. This new camo pattern blends perfectly year round in a variety of habitats. It blends best from the leaf change of fall through winter, then again in early spring before green-out.
We were a little put off by the bezel on this radio. It is chrome, which is very shiny and reflective, just like the 29 LX. We realize that there isn’t a need for the camo on this radio to be truly effective, but the gleaming chrome bezel just doesn’t blend with the whole camo style. We feel like they should have made it black.
There is chrome on the CB microphone, too, but it doesn’t look bad at all. It’s a thin strip around the grill and it blends well. The mic came out looking really good overall. Hopefully, the mics will be offered separately from the radio. It often comes up that you need a replacement and it would be a shame to have to go with the standard black.
Cobra® 29 LX Camo Features:
- RealTree ® Xtra camo pattern
- SWR Calibration – Allows calibration of antenna system for maximum performance.
- Adjustable Dynamike Boost – Dynamically boosts microphone for increased voice clarity.
- Tactile Controls – Allows you to actually feel where the dial is in it’s rotation without taking your eyes off the road.
- PA Capability – Use CB radio as a Public Address System with PA speaker. Receive signals can also be monitored through PA.
- RF Gain – Adjusts receive gain in weak and strong signal areas.
- Switchable Noise Blanker – For increased noise reduction.
- Emergency Weather Alert – Alerts you if threatening weather is nearby with an alert tone even when CB is turned off.
- 4 Watts AM RF Power Output – The maximum allowed by law.
- Instant Channel 9 and 19 – Instant access to emergency channel 9 and information channel 19.
- Antenna Warning Indicator – Illuminates when antenna needs checking.
- Delta Tune – Used to clarify incoming signals.
- Talk Back – This control is used to adjust the desired amount of modulation talk back that is present at the speaker during transmit.
- Channel Scan – Allows scanning of all 40 channels.
- Frequency Display – Displays operating channel frequency of CB and weather band.
- Auto Weather Scan – Automatically scans for the weather band for the strongest signal.
- 10 NOAA Weather Channels – Instant access to 10 National Weather Channels, 24 hours a day, in all 50 states.
- Weather Alert Scan – Automatically scans for the nearest weather alert signal.
- Radio Check Diagnostic – Allows testing of important radio functions such as RF power, antenna condition and battery voltage
- Memory Channels – Stores up to 10 frequently used channels
- Memory Channel Scan – Allows scanning of up to 10 channels stored in memory.
- Selectable Key Tone – Allows key tone to be turned on or off.
- Day / Night Dimmer Control – Adjusts brightness of the front panel for day and night driving.
- 4-Pin Front Microphone Connector – Allows convenient installation to be in-dash or under-dash.
- Selectable 4-Color LCD Display – Choose from four easy-to-read display colors: red, blue, green and amber
What is in the box:
- Cobra® 29LXCAMO CB radio
- Mounting bracket & hardware
- Power cable – Do you need a replacement power cord? Check out the AUCB91.
- Owner’s manual
- Radio Size: 2 1/4″ H x 7 1/4″ W x 8 5/8 D
- This is a large radio- it is recommended for vehicles with a little extra space
- The power cord for this radio is detachable for easy routing
- The Cobra® 29 LX CAMO includes a mounting bracket with 2 thumb screws for mounting
- Looking for a power supply for this radio? Check out the PS8.
Tuning your antenna using the Cobra® C29LXCAMO:
Turn the radio on.
Set to Channel 40.
Push the S/RF/CAL/SWR button next to the meter to “CAL” for calibration.
Press and hold the mic button.
Adjust the SWR CAL knob on the bottom right until the meter swings right and sets to “CAL” on the meter.
Keeping the mic button depressed, press the S/RF/CAL/SWR button again and switch to “SWR” and write down the SWR reading on the meter.
Repeat the steps above on Channel 1.
Use your SWR readings to make adjustments to your antenna accordingly.
If channel 40 SWR is higher than channel 1 SWR, lower/shorten the antenna. If channel 1 SWR is higher than channel 40, lengthen/extend the antenna. The goal is to have the reading be similar and both be under 2 or lower (ideally).
Information on SWR Readings and Tuning Your Antenna